Thursday, November 15, 2007

Memories of the Turner Sub Shop sister store

When I started life at SCAD in the Fall of 2005 I lived in the dorms like everyone else. As a requirement of living in the dorms, you had to have a meal plan. These meal plans came with "dining dollars."

What are dining dollars, you might ask. Well, here's SCAD's definition.
Dining Dollars are a declining balance account included in the meal plan as a convenient way for students to purchase snacks or grocery items or treat a friend to lunch at SCAD.
I'll address the second part of that quote first. Nobody wants to treat their friends to lunch at SCAD. Nobody wants to treat themselves to lunch at SCAD. The food in the cafeterias is absolute Sodexho garbage. You may be thinking, "hey, maybe the food quality has gone up since when you moved out of the dorms two years ago." It hasn't. Along with other Student Media leaders, I was "treated" to free breakfast at Cafe SCAD a couple of weeks ago in return for meeting with Dr. Phil Alletto, VP of Student Services at SCAD. The food was no different. After two years of complaint-filing from most students (I assume), there still wasn't any cold soy milk. The scrambled "eggs" gave me an instant stomach ache.

But this is about convenience stores, right? So, students are forced to convert their USD into "dining dollars" when they're forced to purchase their meal plan. I only have one visual example of what you can buy with those dining dollars.



That's right, $4.69 for a single box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. This same product goes for just over a dollar at the local Kroger. Not only that, this product is useless to residents of the dorms. There isn't a single stove within the entire Turner/Weston/Dyson/Annex dorm complex surrounding this convenience store. There is nowhere for customers of this store to cook this box of macaroni. This image sums up my entire review of the Turner convenience store. I have no more to say.

6 comments:

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

I'm in love with scad...so thats kind of scary.
and you are a good writer!! great conversational style:)

Sara said...

Very inconvenient for a Convenient store. I wonder what kind of education the manager had. Must have missed the day about marketing.

grl727 said...

Hello. Was wondering whether you or any of your readers would care to subscribe to CSP Daily News. It's a free email newsletter for the c-store/gas station industry. It has a circulation of approximately 30,000 subscribers. Check out our website at www.cspnet.com. If you're interested, let me know at glindenberg@cspnet.com and I can have your name(s) added. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Now they have EasyMac. I don't know the price, but its quite microwave-friendly :)

Emberlyyn said...

It totally changed now. The food is superb under Bon Apetit.

April Hornbuckle said...

The food is really good at SCAD now. Like Emberlyyn said, they are under Bon Apetit and everything is fresh, organic, and everything that they can get locally is. I am not a current student but I'm going to be attending this fall and I've eaten in their dining halls three times and never been disappointed. The food is great and they have a lot of options that make any dietary requirements achievable.